Answer: What does loyalty do in Minecraft?
Loyalty is a recent addition to Minecraft, as of the Aquatic Update.
With the Loyalty enchantment, when a player throws a trident, the trident will return to the player automatically after a certain amount of time.
The level of the loyalty enchantment determines how long it will take for the trident to return to the player. The higher the enchantment level, the less time it takes for the trident to return.
Unfortunately, you cannot combine the loyalty enchantment with the riptide enchantment.
The maximum enchantment level for Loyalty is 3.
WARNING: If you throw your enchanted trident into the void, it will not return to you in the Java edition. In the bedrock edition, it will still return.
More Info: Enchanting a Trident with Loyalty
To enchant a trident with Loyalty, use an anvil or an enchanting table.
Anvil: You can enchant an unenchanted trident on an anvil with an enchanted book.
Enchantment Table: You can enchant an unenchanted trident on an enchantment table in exchange for experience points and lalpis lazuli.
If you don't have these options, it's possible to obtain a trident enchanted with Loyalty by trading with villagers, fishing, or through kills or loot.
More Info: The Aquatic Update
Minecraft released the Aquatic Update in 2018 for all versions except Nintendo 3DS.
The Aquatic Update offered a number of new features including:
- New Biomes: There are several new biomes, including cold ocean, deep cold ocean, frozen ocean, deep frozen ocean, lukewarm ocean, deep lukewarm ocean, and warm ocean.
- Updated Mobs: Minecraft updated several mobs, including husks, undead, squid, and zombies
- New Mobs: Minecraft added several new mobs to the game including dolphins, turtles, fish, drowned and undead.
- New Blocks: Minecraft added several blocks, including coral, dried kelp, various prismarine blocks, and turtle eggs
- New Items: Minecraft added several new items like buried treasure maps, kelp, and tridents.
In addition to these updates, there are also a few new mechanics.
Most notably, breath doesn't refill right away when entering air from underwater. Water is also easier to see through when underwater, and the longer the player remains submerged the clearer water becomes.
Sources: What does loyalty do in Minecraft?
GamerShrewd is an independent gaming blog launched in 2019. We thoroughly research every post we write and every question we answer to make sure you get the best possible gaming advice.
We answered What Does Loyalty Do in Minecraft based on our own personal experience in-game, as well as research from websites like IGN, Gamepedia, DigMinecraft, and Gamespot.
See any errors or missing information on this answer? Let us know here.